Thursday, July 24, 2014

Greetings!

My name is Olivia Mickle. I am 23 years old, starting my career as a professional distance runner.  I recently graduated from Brown University with a BS in Biochemical Engineering and spent this past year at the University of Texas, working toward a Masters degree.  My love of running has led me to put my education and science career on hold as I pursue my dream to be an Olympian.  Although the practical course of action—and one my parents would likely appreciate!--would be to take a position in immunology or pharmaceutical research, I need to follow my passion.  I need to run.

Unlike most, I didn’t start running seriously until I was out of my teens.  I’d spent many years racing up and down the field as a competitive soccer player; however, it wasn’t until senior year of high school that I was bitten by the running bug.  Initially, it was a “nibble.”  I enjoyed running and it was good conditioning for soccer.  However, I quickly found myself enamored of the sport and made the decision to fully commit, leaving my soccer days behind.   

Having twice competed at the NCAA finals in the 10k, I believe my future ultimately lies in the marathon.  To continue to build strength and to progress as an elite distance runner, I will be moving to Portland, Oregon to join the Bowerman Track Club, under the direction of Chris Cook and Jonathan Marcus. 
  

As a relative newcomer to running, I have yet to post times that place me among the sport’s elite; nonetheless, I firmly believe I have the potential to be among the nation’s best runners.  I welcome any support or guidance as I embark on this journey.  For now, I encourage you to follow my foodie adventures, running escapades, and growth in the professional running world via twitter (omicklepickle) and this newly developed blog! :) 
Going for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment